Re: [Swarm-Support] Trouble with installing Swarm-2.2

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Trouble with installing Swarm-2.2
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:21:01 +1000

On 24/08/2005, at 5:58 AM, Rajagopal, Abhilash ((UMR-Student)) wrote:
Could anyone please help me out with the following problem???
I am a beginner and i would really need some help in installing swarm2.2

These are the steps i followed to install Swarm-2.2

I installed the following without errors in </usr> :

BLT2.4z        from soundforge.net
TCL/TK 8.3.3   from soundforge.net
libpng 1.2.8   from soundforge.net
zlib 1.2.2     from soundforge.net
xpm 3.4k       from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed
hdf5 1.2.1     from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed
jdk1.5         from sun
GCC 3.4.4      from soundforge.net
libffi-1.2     from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed
make 3.78.1    from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed
kaffe 1.0.5    from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed

Then i downloaded swarm2.2 and ran "./configure --prefix=/usr"
then "make". There were some errors about BLT2.4z
so i downloaded

BLT2.4o        from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed

Firstly a caution: Being a largely MacOS I don't build or use Swarm on Linux.

For what it is worth, here are a few thoughts on what you seem to be doing.

1. It is a 'bad idea' to install packages into /usr. Stuff you add to a UNIX system should go in /usr/local /opt or some such. /usr/ bin /usr/lib etc.. should be kept for system distribution packages.
2. Get Swarm to build without Java first then add that if you need it.
3. Tcl/Tk 8.3.3 and hdf5 1.2.1 and BLT2.4o are really old. I think you should use up to date packages. 4. I am not clear if you are building the packages from source. If these are binaries you are finding around the internet, they may just be incompatible. You are better to build the packages from source, particularly BLT. 5. AFAIK libffi is part of gcc-3.4. So you do not need another potentially incompatible version. 6. If you build using libffi, then the avcall included in the Swarm sources is not used. They are alternatives. 7. Any recent Linux should have a usable make. You should not need to replace it.

Hope this helps
Bill Northcott