Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX

From: support-owner
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:17:57 -0400

On 12/07/2006, at 7:18 AM, Brandon M. Gabler wrote:
However, when I first compiled my code, here are the errors I received (multiple of each type when compiling, but different filenames, such as ObserverSwarm.o in
place of Main.o below):

/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name
(/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/macosx/build/src/collections) does not exist

This is only a warning.  It should not matter.

/usr/bin/ld: main.o bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)

Where did main.o come from? Can you post the compiler output from when it was built?

/usr/bin/ld: warning /usr/local/swarm2.2/lib/libswarm.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386
(file not loaded)

That is to be expected if any of the objects in the link have been built without '-arch ppc'. I suspect you have some (static) libraries from Fink, Darwinports or other sources and these are being used instead of the ppc versions from the Swarm ftp site. Check carefully what is listed on the link line.

I'm guessing I have a reference to the wrong directory somewhere in the architecture, as well as a few other flags that need to be changed to -arch ppc, but I am not familiar enough with the Mac yet (only have had it a week and a half) or unix to mess with this stuff without getting lost along the way.

Are you using the CFLAGS from the Swarm Makefiles within your makefile? Unless you do it won't work. The whole point of the Swarm makefiles is to set up the environment for your machine. Have a look at the Heatbugs makefile for clues.

Does anyone have suggestions for fixing those errors? I'm going to try to piece through the -arch i386 errors myself to find those files, but I am unsure about the rest, since I thought setting SWARMHOME would resolve the other issues.

Make sure you are using the shell initialization script provided in / usr/local/swarm2.2/etc/swarm.

Bill Northcott