Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing Swarm on Ubuntu 8.10 x64

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing Swarm on Ubuntu 8.10 x64
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:36:11 -0500

Sorry I did not post this morning. It took me a little longer than expected to learn again how to sign packages.

For Ubuntu 8.10 I built a new blt package and the Swarm libraries on an i386 system. I had too much trouble trying to maintain a 64 bit system, so I quit and "downgraded" to i386, so that's all I can offer you right now.

If I were you, I'd try these i386 libraries and see if they work.

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/8.10/i386/

They are all in this directory, where I also uploaded the source code and the diff files that you can use to re-construct your own packages.

I think to make a minimally functional system, you need:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/8.10/i386/blt_2.4z-7pj_i386.deb

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/8.10/i386/blt-dev_2.4z-7pj_i386.deb

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/8.10/i386/libswarm0_2.3.0-1_i386.deb

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/8.10/i386/libswarm-dev_2.3.0-1_i386.deb

Note: Matta designed this according to his view of the Debian packaging guidelines, that forbid us from using /usr/etc/swarm anymore. The config files are in /etc/swarm and that means to use Swarm, you need to set the SWARMHOME variable as /. In the BASH shell, I do this

# export SWARMHOME=/

before I try "make".

My package signing key is here:
http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/PaulJohnson-BinaryPackageSigningKey

in case  you are "into that kind of thing" :)

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086