[Swarm-Support] Grid2d Object placement issues

From: Williamson, Robert J
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Grid2d Object placement issues
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:34:11 -0500

Hey there,

So here is another question, though my last question is still open for answers.

I have a Discrete2dImpl that I am putting my agents on. When they move I just
call putObject$atX$Y with the new coordinates. However in come cases my agents
interact with others around them. To do this they call getObject$atX$Y on all
the spaces around them to see who they can interact with.

My problem is this, when I move Agents with putObject$atX$Y the pointer to the
object still stays at the old spot, until it is overwritten by another Agent.
This causes agents to think that there are others around them, even when the
other agents have moved on. I also need to remove agents from the lattice as
they die, but I have not figured out how to do that yet. I tried over writing
their last place in the lattice with null, but that did not seem to do the
trick. I figure if I can figure out how to remove an Object then I can just do
that before moving and my phantom-agent problem should be solved.

Suggestions are always appreciated,
Robert Williamson
Applied Biology/Software Engineering
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology