[Swarm-Support] Garbage Collection issues

From: Williamson, Robert J
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Garbage Collection issues
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:50:09 -0500

hi there,

I am modeling a dynamic population in which individuals are constantly being
born and dying, using the Java Swarm package. When they die i want the agent
objects garbage collected, however this is not occurring. After some reading it
seems that because i am using the GlobalZone for the main SwarmImpl (that then
creates all the agents) the agents are being put into the is zone, which is
protected from GC. I was wondering how i can get around thi. I tried just
making a new ZoneImpl and passing it to my Swarm instead of the Global, but
that simply crashed my program. Do i need to make modifications to the Zone
before i pass it along? Ideally i think the main SwarmImpl should reside in the
GlobalZone, however. Should i give each of my agents their own zone and drop
that zone when they die? Would that work if they were created by the SwarmImpl
in the GlobalZone? Is there some simpler solution?

Thanks for your time,
Robert Williamson
Applied Biology/Software Engineering
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology