swarm-swarmfest2004

RE: [SwarmFest2004] swarmfest04 -- Budget estimates and related issues

From: Burkhart Roger M
Subject: RE: [SwarmFest2004] swarmfest04 -- Budget estimates and related issues
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:13:53 -0600

> I was just looking and in 2003 there were 25 talks (!!),
> many 30 min, some 20, some 15.  That is a really
> busy schedule.  Did people think that was too busy?

I thought we packed in a bit too much, but OTOH giving a
talk can be an important reason for someone to attend.

> I also gather there was no published proceedings...is that right?

Yes.

> We might consider self-publishing a paperbound "proceedings"
> via our local Kinko's.  We did that for a "Fest" for John Holland
> a few years ago, and it worked out pretty well.  We had
> copies for all participants and a few extras to distribute.

That would be nice to provide, with abstracts only to fill in
for anyone who doesn't have a full paper ready in time.  But a
printed program with electronic access to papers and/or
presentations (many filled in after the event) is probably just
as good these days.

> So...
>
> Do any of you have thoughts about:
> - the general plan to follow the 2003 overall format

The basic format has worked well for several years.

> - specifically offering a reception, one lunch, one dinner

If lunch is reasonably convenient we can let people do it on
their own.

> - The above estimated costs

They seem reasonable to me.

> - An estimate of attendence: can we expect as many as last year? Fewer?

This is the biggest unknown to me.  It depends a lot on who we
can promote it to and to what extent it focuses on just Swarm
vs. a larger community.

> - Is the cost structure used last year right?

Seems reasonable to me.

> *** Note Well ***
> CSCS will not be able to put in large amounts of $ as Notre Dame did last
> year.   We can provide organizational work, materials, etc.

Perhaps Greg can help fill in, but leaving aside the keynote
that was covered by a broader departmental account, did the event
cover its own direct expenses?

> So...we (CSCS) have to have some commitment from SDG that
> if revenue is substantially below income, that SDG will use
> its funds to make the difference.
> (CSCS could cover a few hundred dollars, if it was that's all it was,
> but UM has taken 2 $ reduction-in-State-support in this fiscal year in
> support (6%, now 3% more!) and that has been passed on to CSCS, so things
> are very very tight here, alas.)

Given that the biggest risk is likely to be attendance, the
ability to scale the costs based on final registrations may
help somewhat.  Since putting on SDG is one of the few things
the formal organization does anymore it seems appropriate to me
to consider SDG funds.  Can anyone indicate whether we provided
any option to fall back on this for the most recent two SwarmFests
at Washington and Notre Dame?

> Should I send a message to the SDG to ask for a vote on that?

We should probably pin down the budget amounts a bit more here
first.  How close do you think we could come in arriving at a
maximum amount to be covered if registrations were to fall short?

--Roger