swarm-swarmfest2004

Re: [SwarmFest2004] registration fees

From: gepr
Subject: Re: [SwarmFest2004] registration fees
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:24:39 -0800

Rick Riolo writes:
 > How has SwarmFest's handled figuring out who gets to pay
 > what rate for SwarmFest?

(I'm about to state my understanding.... all this is in question,
really, since it's unclear what benefit members really get out of
their "membership".)

All the "individual" memberships include only 1 SwarmFest attendance.
However, we've often made considerations for students or post-docs
working with the particular member.  The "group" memberships were
intended to provide benefits to larger numbers of people.  But, the
rules for this were never spelled out explicitly.  I forget the
numbers we've used in the past.  But, I've always thought something
like 5-10 ppl for University/Government/Corporate.  Charter and Elite,
I figure could be handled case by case.

 > (I have a bit of a conflict of interest here...)
 >
 > Ie, the example that is definitely going to come up is students (and
 > others) from CSCS/UM.    We (CSCS) have an Academic Plus membership.
 > So who is elligible to get charged the SDG swarmfest rates?
 > Just me?   Me + cscs students, postdocs, etc?

We've always made exceptions for the host.  I think it's reasonable
for you to invite as many of your students as you think is reasonable.
Postdocs and staff should probably pay, though possibly at a discount.
On the other hand, contributions in kind are good, too.  So, if whoever
you want to bring just does some work, helping to organize, staff the
merchandise table, play audio-video guy, etc, then that can take the
place of any fees.

 > This issue may come up for other university groups, i would imagine.
 >
 > Do we need a proceedure to submit names/registrations to whoever
 > has the "gold standard" copy of the membership list to figure
 > out what the people should be paying?

yes.  This was a problem last year.

 > Do we just take them at their word (mostly...) when they
 > send in their registration form?

Previously, we've just taken everyone at their word.

I'd prefer to move away from memberships to donations, alone.  There's
just no clear value to becoming a "member".  And we don't follow up on
annual dues, anyway.  (or perhaps Paul has been doing this and I'm just
unaware)

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr