swarm-swarmfest2005

Re: [Swarmfest2005] on Sunday 5

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarmfest2005] on Sunday 5
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:08:34 -0500

I tried the tutorial thing last fall at the Ecological Society of America and found it to be a difficult, frustrating experience. I don't think I am incapable of doing that kind of thing, but it is very tough.

I was knee deep in detail and most of the people were wanting more general conceptual material than I had to give. None had computers with working Swarm, but some were very sophisticated and wanted to ask very detailed questions. There were many Java and C++ programmers there who kept wanting translations between Obj-C and Java or C++. They would ask things, and get me excited, and we'd travel off on some detail that was totally boring to most people. And probably boring to me, after all was said and done.

I had resolved at the outset not to do the same old "read the bugs tutorial" to them, since they could read that on their own before hand or after. I made up some slides on the Sugar Scape and tried to sell them on the idea that they should just dig into details and see what does what, but the detail was too intense, at least to start.

I think if I were doing this again, I'd go at it like this

1. 1 hour survey of swarm apps and what cool stuff can happen.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Presentations/ESA-Portland-2004/Presentations/Step_Two_Swarm.pdf

That is not details, and what details I have in there should be cut out. Emphasis is on having things with ACTUALLY working code, applications, and where possible, publications.

2. Detailed review of a working swarm model. I prefer to work on Sugar Scape. I'd like to distribute this code to people ahead of time.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Presentations/ESA-Portland-2004/Presentations/SSS_Swarm_Tutorial1.pdf

I made a line-numbered printout of all that code.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Presentations/ESA-Portland-2004/Handouts/sss-2.2-Handouts.tar.gz

I added a "predator" to the model, just to illustrate the adventure.

Honestly, it is very frustrating to make this kind of a presentation because the users are diverse, some not knowing where the fundamentals begin and some knowing a whole bunch.

It is a big problem that the state of Java Swarm applications is up in the air. Tim Howe was making revisions over the years in jheatbugs, but the last batch of changes grossed me out so much I completely threw up my hands on that whole enterprise.

pj

Pietro Terna wrote:
        Dear Paul and all,

on Sunday 5 we'll have the opening reception and the poster session at 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM as last year.

What I don't know and I'm asking to every one is if we can have a tutorial session. Paul Box or Paul Jonhson can arrange for it?

        Yours, Pietro