swarm-swarmfest2007

[Swarmfest2007] Swarmfest 2007 Submission

From: Timothy Schoenharl
Subject: [Swarmfest2007] Swarmfest 2007 Submission
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:13:29 -0400 (EDT)

Names: Tim Schoenharl, Matt VanAntwerp and Greg Madey
Email: address@hidden
Presentation Type: Oral
Abstract:

 Patterns in Modeling: A Case Study on Applying Techniques from
 Pattern Oriented Modeling and Design Patterns to Simulation Design

 Timothy Schoenharl, Matthew VanAntwerp and Greg Madey

 Pattern Oriented Modeling offers a simple approach to the design of
 Agent-Based Models. Design Patterns, a software engineering approach,
 offers a set of common object-oriented design templates that can be
 applied to an object-oriented system. These techniques can be used
 together in model development to write robust yet extensible simulations.
 In this paper we present a case study on the use of pattern oriented
 modeling and design patterns in the implementation of an Agent-Based Model
 for use in an online scenario. We show how Pattern Oriented Modeling and
 Design Patterns offer unique solutions to challenges in online simulation,
 among these the ability to vary agent behavior models at runtime while
 demonstrating excellent runtime performance.

Timothy Schoenharl
Ph.D. Candidate
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, Indiana, USA