Re: [Swftools-common] Problems with wav2swf's output.swf and free Shockw

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Problems with wav2swf's output.swf and free Shockwave player
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:37:35 +0100

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:31:29PM -0600, Isaac Grover wrote:
> The first problem is that I can't get the output generated by wav2swf to
> play with the free Shockwave player I downloaded from Macromedia.

Are you trying to play this on Linux or Windows? On Linux, you sometimes
need esd to run be running in order to hear sound in Flash files.

> Is it the .swf, the player, or my HTML code?

You may want to post URLs to one of the SWFs, maybe the associated .wav
file, and the HTML you use to embed the SWF- I'll then be able to have a look at
where the problem might be.

> The second problem is memory-based.  Typical sizes of these calls range
> between 600Mb-750Mb each in .wav format.  I don't believe wav2swf was
> designed to handle files of this size, because the program will fill up RAM
> and swap memory, and the kernel kills the wav2swf process because it thinks
> something is wrong (which it probably is).  In the machine I do the
> conversion on, I have almost 400Mb RAM and 700Mb swap.  What options do I
> have in getting wav2swf successfully convert these extremely large files?

Yes, wav2swf loads everything into memory before starting to stream it out.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting anyone to convert files that big. :)

Well, you could try to wrap the sound into an .avi file
somehow (mencoder perhaps, or transcode), and then use avi2swf, which
doesn't buffer so much data.
The other possibility would perhaps be to split the .wav file into chunks,
convert each chunk seperately, and then put them back together with
swfcombine.

Greetings

Matthias