Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:58:52 +0200

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 02:10:20AM +0900, Moriyoshi Koizumi wrote:
> >Thanks for the patch. I'm currently looking over it.
> >Why do you need to specify the parameters on the command line,
> >btw.? What's wrong with /etc/xpdfrc? Do you need to switch
> >between mappings from one pdf2swf run to the next?
>
> I want to keep the parameters dependent from the settings of
> the other application (XPDF) because I think of pdf2swf as a standalone
> application and it should fully be configurable via the command line.
> (It can eventually be affected by .xpdfrc though.)

Agreed. xpdf settings shouldn't affect pdf2swf.

> BTW, does pdf2swf really attempt to read /etc/xpdfrc ? It seems not..

You're right- the code in GlobalParams.cc only looks for ~/.xpdfrc
and .xpdfrc, not /etc/xpdfrc.
Maybe this should even be removed, to prevent side effects from
xpdf confiration "leaking" into pdf2swf.

Anyway, while I think that internationalization of pdf2swf is
important, I'm somewhat reluctant to introduce four command-line
parameters for one single feature.

I think we should either add a "--languagepack" parameter, which
specifies the location of one of the xpdf language packs, or
even autodetect the language packs, assuming that they were
always extracted into (the local equivalent of) /usr/local/share/swftools/
.
Would that be possible in your case, or did you "finetune" either the
language packs or the different command-line parameter settings in
a way not reproduceable by either the "--languagepack" or auto-detection
approach?

Greetings

Matthias