Re: [Swftools-common] New to SWFTools with questions

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] New to SWFTools with questions
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:13:14 +0000

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 02:03:30PM -0500, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Flash, never used it before (not even in Windows), and I
> am venturing into it with all of the free tools, using Linux, and got
> some stuff installed this weekend... so forgive me if these seem like
> questions with obvious answers.  I do have a programming background in
> C/C++, Perl and Java, though, so hopefully I can pick up on things quickly.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No Python? Too bad- I'm still looking for beta-testers for the python
interface. ;)

> 1. Is there formal documentation on the scripting language used for
> swfc?  There is a manual online on the SWFTools site, but I am looking
> more for a reference, with each command listed and all of the available
> options for each command (like how there is a man page for each C function).

I assume you already stumbled upon

    http://www.quiss.org/swftools/swfc-fileformat.txt
?
That's currently what comes closest to a reference. I'm afraid that
beyond that and the tutorial, there's only the swfc source code. :(

> 2. Is this scripting language something invented for SWFTools or is this
> an implementation of a more standardized thing?

Apart from the ActionScript (the stuff you put between ".action:"
and ".end"), it's something invented for SWFTools.

> 3. On a more practical note, any tips on creating a progress indicator
> when loading a Flash file using the SWFTools?

Looks like something for the ActionScript Gurus.
Laurent? Chris?

> 4. What happened to OpenSWF?  It looks like something interesting but
> doesn't seem to exist anymore...

Hm, yes, that site seems to be dead at last. I'll remove it from the
link list.

Greetings

Matthias