Re: [Swftools-common] avi2swf what works best?

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] avi2swf what works best?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:17:37 +0100

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 05:47:26PM -0500, Chris Flowers wrote:
> Every avi I try to send to avi2swf never loads and it says "missing codec?"
> All the avi's I've tried play fine and all codecs are installed.
>
> What is the best avi/codec to use with this tool?

avi2swf uses VFW (Video for Windows) to do the file parsing.
It seems that not all codecs are available through that API, so you
get the "missing codec?" message even if the codec really is available.

There are other APIs (DirectShow, Windows Media SDK, ...) avi2swf could
additionally use, but I haven't gotten around to implementing that
yet (and I'm also not sure they'll link against MingW, as at least Windows
Media SDK is C++).

> Also the new 0.6.3 says that the "-d" to scale the video is not an option?

Oops, the documentation is wrong- the scale option is "-s".

Greetings

Matthias