Re: [Swftools-common] Recent development snapshot - no text is rendering

From: Ryan Gardner
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Recent development snapshot - no text is rendering on my PDFs
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:27:27 -0600

On Mar 24, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Matthias Kramm wrote:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 02:10:37PM -0600, Ryan Gardner <address@hidden> wrote:
the PDF that I was using as a test PDF is located here:

http://filebin.ca/bsawoc/fundingAuthorization_wsignature.pdf

Swftools previously worked just fine to convert these exact same pdfs
over. Is there a place I can post one of the PDF files so that
someone else can test one to see if it is my build that is screwey,
or if it is in fact a bug?

I can't reproduce that problem with the latest development snapshot.

According to the log, the character heights are all zero, which is
pretty strange.

You're saying you compiled swftools yourself? If yes, which version of
freetype were you using? Also, were you using the snapshot or a CVS
checkout of swftools?

Greetings

Matthias

Thanks for your reply. The version of freetype that I'm using is 2.1.10 ( according to /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h )

I can go into my swftools-2007-07-08-1916 directory, make clean / make / sudo make install - and then run the command and it works fine when I go into my swftools-2008-03-19-2300 directory, and attempt the same thing - the output is blank with those strange errors.

I'm building on Mac OS X 10.4.11. In order to get it to build, I had to edit the makefile and comment out the two lines that say to build python:

#       @echo making $@ in lib/python...#       cd lib/python;$(MAKE) $@
because if I let it go in there, it was giving me a strange linking error about _unwind something - and since I don't need python, it was easier to turn it off than to build it.
The files I am building from I obtained from:
http://www.swftools.org/swftools-dev.tar.gz

It's interesting that my older build works - but the newer one doesn't. I used the same configure options mentioned on the FAQ page (How do I compile swftools on Mac OS X?) on both the old version and the new version, so the libraries that it links with should be the same.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the strange behavior? Would building from a CVS checkout be a better idea than the snapshot?

Ryan