Re: [Swftools-common] Text Selection and other questions

From: filip sound
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Text Selection and other questions
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:48:29 +0100

hi,

well, this has nothing to do with pdf2swf. many developers tried to use the setSelection method but with decent results. text can be selected this way but as soon as any transformation is applied, the selection is gone. i think this is not intended to be used as a permanent selection.

the only solution i know of is to use the TextSnapshot class to get the position of the texts you want to have highlighted and draw a semitransparent rectangle above it.

has nothing to do with fonts either.

look up TextSnapshot.findText and TextSnapshot.getTextRunInfo

you need some skills in AS3 and maths since words are often split into many single textfields internally - coming from the f*ckedup internal structure of pdf files (or the programs that created the pdf file). it's getting really intensive if the words you want to find are rotated - then every single char is a separate static textfield.

the getTextRunInfo method has two different types of return data - make sure you handle both.

if you need more info, just ask (i'm not going to post code somewhere)
the part for finding and selecting (drawing shapes above the words) has about 130 lines of code in my project.

good luck,
  filip