[Swftools-common] revisiting AVM1 to AVM2 conversion

From: Michael Geary
Subject: [Swftools-common] revisiting AVM1 to AVM2 conversion
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:34:18 -0700

hi folks,

so, this is just killing me. I have found several references to the topic of
converting an AVM1 file to an AVM2 file, but i still have not been able to nail
this. I have read this:

1) http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg02757.html

and this:

2) http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg05977.html

i've tried EVERYTHING suggested in both of those, but i'm not getting the
needed results. Let me bore you with my specific experiences with each of the
approaches. Please note that my source AVM1 files are all "dumb". The only AS
they've got is some "stop()"s on some frames, and they are all either one or
two frames:

--------Results ----------------

---swfcombine---

trying this: swfcombine -F10 -m as3_dummy_file.swf placeholder=avm1.swf -o
newfile.swf

The resulting swf from this looks good, but doesn't really appear to be AVM2.
When i try to use it in my AS3 project, i get this: "Property gotoAndStop not
found on flash.display.AVM1Movie and there is no default value". Furthermore,
when i inspect the file in Sothink, (Misc Tags -> file attributes), it says:
Using Action Script 3.0: no

trying this: swfcombine -d -F10 -o newfile.swf avm1.swf
... gives me pretty much the same results as above

--------------------------------

---changing the version bit---

using a hex editor, i analyzed what i believe is the correct byte. The "before"
first set of value was: 43 57 53 09, i changed this to: 43 57 53 0A and saved
it. However, while this appears to have changed the version from 9 to 10, it
hasn't changed AVM1 to AVM2.

-------------------------------

---using swfc---

with this swfc script:

.flash name="avm1.swf" version=10 fps=24 mainclass=Main
  .swf page_1 "newfile.swf"
  .put page_1
  .action:
        package {
            public class Main extends flash.display.MovieClip {
            }
        }
  .end
.end

... when i do this, i DO get this warning: "Warning: File contains both flash 8
and flash 9 actionscript". Strangely, the resulting SWF is all black, so i
can't tell if it's working completely, but again, inspecting it in Sothink, it
doesn't seem to think that it's an AVM2 (AS3) file.

So, i'm going crazy here. Various online references seem to indicate that other
people have gotten this working. Can anyone help me see what i'm doing wrong?
Any other suggestions of things to try?

Many thanks,

michael geary