Re: [Swftools-common] Link against poppler

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Link against poppler
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:48:36 -0800

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:38:44AM +0100, Christian Welzel <address@hidden>
wrote:
> lately i tried to link the swftools package against libpoppler to build
> a debian package without xpdf. At last i got it to compile but i had to
> remove some parts of code:
>
> //    if(splash->needFontUpdate) {
> //       splash->doUpdateFont(state);
> //    }

Yes, there have been a number of patches for Poppler support over
the last few years, but they always ran against this problem.

You have two options:

1.) Update Poppler so that it has a way of accessing the splash font
    information from outside. (I.e., add a function that executes the
    above code)
2.) Circumvent the private setting of Poppler by some ugly hack, like
    #define private public before including Poppler, or by accessing
    the function pointer through pointer arithmetric.

Naturally, I would prefer 1.), as there are some other things you'll
need to add to Poppler as well.
In particular, in order for "-s poly2bitmap" to work, you'll have to
tweak Poppler's SplashScreen.cc to have a mode where ::test always
returns 1.

> In swftools xpdf gets patched to include ascender, descender and
> last_advance in SplashFont. What is that for and what are the
> consequences of removing them?

Removing those will cause text selection in generated SWFs to break.

> I have some patches for spelling mistakes and other minor stuff, where
> can i send these to to get them included?

Just send them either to the list or to me. I'll take care of them.

Matthias