Re: [Swftools-common] Undefined symbols _PrintGifError when building swf

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Undefined symbols _PrintGifError when building swf
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 00:41:58 -0500

Chris wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2012 17:57:19 +0200 Simon Groenewolt wrote:
>
> > When installing (building) swftools using macports I get an error on
> > my machine - the build was working just fine as far as I know.
> >
> > Error:
> > :info:build /usr/bin/clang -DHAVE_CONFIG_H gif2swf.o -o gif2swf
> > ../lib/librfxswf.a ../lib/libbase.a -L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64
> > -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lmp3lame -lgif -ljpeg -lpdf -lz -lm
> >  -L/opt/local/lib -lfreetype -lz -lbz2
> > :info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
> > :info:build   "_PrintGifError", referenced from:
> > :info:build       _MovieAddFrame in gif2swf.o
> > :info:build       _CheckInputFile in gif2swf.o
> > :info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
> >
> > I've filed a bug with macports https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34553
> > but this is not macport-specific it seems. Quote: "this is related to
> > giflib having been updated to 4.2.0 and the PrintGifError symbol
> > having been removed from giflib in that version"
> >
> > Following a link for a linked bugreport I find on
> > http://giflib.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=giflib/giflib;a=blob;f=NEWS
> > that they added functions GifError() and GifErrorString() and probably
> > removed _PrintGifError in the process?
> >
> > What would be the way to get this working again in macports? I did a
> > git clone and tried to see if I can easily build swftools from scratch
> > but that did not work out of the box -- I don't mind putting some
> > effort in trying to reproduce the macports issue with a 'clean' git
> > checkout but maybe someone else already found this issue and has a fix
> > ready?

> I'm not a Mac user, but,
>
>    http://www.apple.com/opensource/
>
> states giflib as being at 4.1.6.
>
> I have 0.9.2 happily compiled against the same version.
>
> Is it really essential for you use 4.2.0?

Hello, I'm the maintainer of giflib in MacPorts, and I'm joining this
conversation because it seems to have stagnated without a solution. This is not
a Mac-specific issue; it affects any user who has upgraded to giflib 4.2.0,
which is the latest stable version of giflib is that has been released by its
developers:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/giflib/

As the maintainer of the port, I recently updated giflib in MacPorts to version
4.2.0, which prompted the above MacPorts bug report, to which I replied that it
was not our problem to fix, which prompted Simon to write to this list. giflib
4.2.0 has removed the PrintGifError function; it cannot be used anymore. The
giflib 4.2.0 NEWS file states:

>   QuantizeBuffer(), GifQprintf(), PrintGifError(), GIF_ERROR()
>   and GIF_MESSAGE() have been removed from the core library.
>   They were used only by the utilities.

This implies the developer of giflib never intended these functions to be used
by third parties. Any further questions about why these functions were removed
should be directed to the developer of giflib, but the fact is that they have
been removed and cannot be used anymore.

The developers of swftools should update swftools to be compatible with the
latest stable version of giflib by no longer attempting to use this function.

Once that happens, we can update the swftools port in MacPorts to include that
fix, so that MacPorts users can once again install swftools; until that time,
they will not be able to do so.