Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:31:19 +0800

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your new synaptic-0.30, especially with new gtk2
interface and all!  Very impressive!  :-)

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 03:19:10PM +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> I have taged the current cvs version as debian_rel_0_30 and uploaded
> this version to debian/unstable. I will not announce this release on
> freshmeat until it gets a bit of testing inside debian. The gui is
> complettly reworked and it certainly has some bugs. But the real
> problem is that I can't test the rpm version myself (as I don't have
> a rpm distro to test). So I would love to get feedback from the rpm
> users if it compiles at all (or better yet if it works :).

Yes, it compiles, and it works on an RPM system.  Here we are using Thiz
Linux Desktop (based on Red Hat 8.x).  There are some caveats, though not
all are RPM-related.

 1. The first set of attachments are Chinese PO/MO messages that I have been
    maintaining on and off since Synaptic 0.16.  I have not updated
    everything for synaptic 0.30 yet, but hey, let's get them in first.  :-)

 2. Non-English interfaces like zh_TW (zh_TW.Big5) and even fr_FR
    (fr_FR.ISO-8859-1) weren't showing properly, and pango complains that it
    is fed non-UTF-8 text strings.  Setting LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 instead of
    fr_FR seems to do the trick.  So, I took a look at metacity's source
    code, and added a line in gsynaptic.cc to set bind_textdomain_codeset to
    "UTF-8".  Problems solved.  Please see patch.  :-)
    (Note that I am no expert in Gtk2 or gettext programming, so if I miss
    anything, please revise.  :-)

 3. Some translatable strings in synaptic.glade (e.g. "Action", "_Help")
    aren't in synaptic.pot.  Not sure why.

 4. This one may or may not be RPM-specific.  When the APT database is
    incomplete (for example, if I run "Update List" when the repository has
    a temporarily corrupted Package.bz2), synaptic would correctly show a
    warning, and then crash.  IIRC, synaptic used to be able to stay running
    so that the user has a chance to click "Update List" again to fix the
    problem.  Meanwhile, I had to manually run "apt-get update" to fix the
    problem.

That's all for now.  Many thanks!  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony