Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: [Bug #3187] 0.35.1 build fails on redhat 7.3

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: [Bug #3187] 0.35.1 build fails on redhat 7.3
Date: 16 May 2003 10:43:35 +0200

> > Oh well :)
> > Sure, I see the need to not be to support rh 8.0. I'll see what I can
> > do. The thing is, the GtkTreeView is not easy to deal with in
> > gtk2.0. 2.2 has some nice new features. Expect 0.36 to be released with
> > the gtk2.2 code still in (it's scheduled for the next days). After this,
> > we may make it 2.0 compatible.
>
> SO... has there been any change with regard to gtk2.0 compatiblity?
>
> Looking at the code in synaptic's svn trunk I saw that
> gtk_tree_selection_get_selected_rows is still being used.  gtk2.2 is NOT
> available in UnitedLinux 1.0 (at least not on SuSE's SLES8; which uses
> gtk-2.0.6); does conectiva provide gtk2.2?
>
> I understand the reasons for using gtk2.2 features; but when it comes
> right down to it Synaptic (rpm support anyway) can only be used on RH9,
> and _maybe_ conectiva's UnitedLinux.  Having such a limited set of
> supported distributions can't be good for Synaptic.

I do not know at all whether synaptic depends on gtk2.2 or not. Anyway, if
it does for good reason, it's the distros work to choose which software
they want to provide and provide the appropriate packages.

A dependancy on a recent library is not a bug.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org