Re: [Synaptic-devel] Static synaptic?

From: Rex Dieter
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Static synaptic?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:40:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> Anyone built synaptic statically linked?  Is there any reason why it would
> not build statically?
>
> I'll be attempting to build a static version today as we have a large
> organization that is running various versions of RH and SuSE.  Some of
> those versions do not have the required GTK or other libraries required to
> run the latest code.  We have an internal apt server and I only want one
> synaptic RPM to maintain.

While possible, I doubt it will work, as you want as Suse and different
RH versions use different versions of rpm (especially Suse with rpm3 and
RH with rpm4).  Even if does *seem* to work, you're playing russian
roulette with the stability of your rpm databases.

--
Rex A. Dieter                   address@hidden
Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate
intensity..."
-- W. B. Yeats