[Synaptic-devel] glibc and synaptic

From: Henki Aarrestad
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] glibc and synaptic
Date: 10 Nov 2003 18:06:01 +0100

Hi I recently downloaded synaptic for my rh8 and have to say it is
great. However there is one thing that struck me as a bit odd. At first
I just selected the option to upgrade everything, and while it
downloaded the packages I saw that a new glibc version was included and
i stopped the process as it was a major version change.(I have
glibc2.2.* and it wanted to install glibc.2.3.*)

Wouldn't it be possible to make synaptic automatically remove the
library from the upgrade list when the difference is major between the
versions and only upgrade when its a minor difference in release
numbers?

It may be that you have already have a safeguard for this in the
program. As I said I didn't dare go through the upgrade of glibc.2.3*,
so I don't really know what would happen.(I cannot afford to take the
chance to crash my system to check it out)

So if there are already safeguards in synaptic about this please
disregard this post as the ramblings of a mad newbie. However if there
are no safeguards about this please consider it as a future feature.