[Synaptic-devel] Horrible Gettext strings

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Horrible Gettext strings
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:59:54 +0100

Dear Sebastian,

I found a couple of horrible strings which render Synaptic very hard to
translate into Asian/Indian/non-European languages.

On the one hand:

%s %s: will be Upgraded to %s\n
%s %s: will be Installed\n
%d %s are set on hold\n
%d %s are kept back and not upgraded\n
%d %s will be upgraded\n
%d %s will be DOWNGRADED\n
You should write "%d package(s) are set on hold\n", etc...

-> %s %s should not be used twice.
-> %d %s means nothing.

Basically, you can search all %s and %d entries in the source code and fix
them.

On the other hand, there still remain these "but ..." half-sentences:

but %s is to be installed
but it is not installable
but it is a virtual package
but it is not going to be installed
or
%s is/will be installed

There may be other entries. IMHO, it is a priority to fix these strings. When
it is done, I propose to review the entries carefully before the release
date.

I am sending the French translation in a seperate email.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel