Re: [Synaptic-devel] New download/execute dialog

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] New download/execute dialog
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:03:00 +0100

Am Do, den 27.11.2003 schrieb Jean-Michel POURE um 11:55:

Hello Jean,

> Nice dialog. I am not sure I understand the word "notebook" (sorry for my
> English).

A notebook is a widget that provides "tabs". Like in "tabbed brower" :)

> This question may be stupid: would it be possible to replace the bottom pane
> with this dialog during installation? From a user point of view, having very
> few Windows is important. There are always five windows opened on my station
> at the same time. :)

During installation the whole main window is not of interest to the
user. So there is no need to display the package list.

The execute dialog is always on top of the main window and doesn't
appear in the window list. So I don't think that this is a real
priority.

Another possibility would be to replace the whole main window and make
the whole app more like than a wizard.

> But, the main idea is that Synaptics is a possible solution for a Debian/RPM
> installer. Like any installer, Synaptics could display installation progress
> bars showing both 1) total status and 2) current package status.

Do not know anything about this. But sometime you need user interaction
on package actions.

> I don't know if the interactive shell can also be integrated in the bottom
> pane (like a Konqueror shell). It may cause thread problems.

Synaptic is also used by Connectiva during the installation. And the
installer has to work with a 640x480 resolution. So space is rare.

Regards,

Sebastian