Re: [Synaptic-devel] trouble with locales

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] trouble with locales
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:18:43 +0100

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 07:38:13AM -0800, Corien Prins wrote:
> Dear people,
Hi Corien,

> Today I've updated several packages of my Debian.
> Since then I get the following message when starting
> synaptic:
>
> "Incorrect or incompatible locale-settings.
>
> Synaptic may crash!!!
>
> Xlib dow not support your chosen language-environment.
> Please use settings like "fr_FR" or "address@hidden". Do
> not use settings like "address@hidden".
>
> Contact the mailing list for comments or help:
> address@hidden
> Include the output of the "locale" command in your
> email. "
>
> Synaptic does indeed crash. It does not crash when
> using the default-locale (english). I've tried to
> change the settings, but didn't succeed (backed-up the
> config-files first). The output of the locale-command
> is:

Please try the following command (as root):
# dpkg-reconfigure locales

first choose the locales you want and then set it to something like
"address@hidden". This should work. Please note that this is not a
synaptic problem, this incompatible locale settings affect all X11
applications.
You can also use the "configure" button in synaptic to change the
settings of the locales package.

I hope this helps :)

Have fun,
 Michael