[Synaptic-devel] Suggestion : display package recommandations

From: Guillaume Pratte
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Suggestion : display package recommandations
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:08:40 -0400

I have a feature I would like to suggest / request for Synaptic : the ability
to display and handle packages'  "Recommends:" field.

For instance, installing ark would bring a dialog that suggests the
installation of arj, ncompress, rar, unzip, zip and zoo, if not already
present on the system.

If Synaptic's developers are interested to implement this feature I am willing
to help out with the UI design by posting on this is list and maybe tweaking
with the .glade files. That's the most I can do with the spare time I've got.

By the way I really like Tom Kelly's idea to link to the changelog of the
package, like the new packages.debian.org is doing. The content of the
changelog could be downloaded into a new tab between « Installed Files » and
« Expert » in the Package Control view, for instance.

Guillaume Pratte