[Synaptic-devel] The Super deb file?

From: Hamish Robertson
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] The Super deb file?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:15:16 +0700

Hello guys,
My name is Hamish robertson and I'm working on a version of Ubuntu linux for Laos. Currently there is no operating system or programs in the Lao language so this will hopefully fix that.  The main problem we are having is that currently the only way to install applications easily is with synaptic...which as long as your connected to the internet is a BRILLIANT solution. Sadly, the internet here is a bit patchy. there's lots of dropouts and download speeds vary. not to mention a lot of places can't get it at all. What we need is a way to install programs without the internet. Anyway, I have an idea that should be VERY simple to implement.

I am no programmer, so please excuse me if I make a mistake here...

As I understand it, currently when I search and download a package via synaptic, Synaptic get's the required deb file then searches for dependancies, finds those then installs everything in the required order. What if we could freeze everything (The package, dependancies and synaptic install script) into one archive file - a super deb - sdeb?) Which we can transfer to another computer with the same linux distribution?

If the user double clicks on a sdeb file synaptic opens automatically and installs all the packages and it's dependancies without requiring the internet.

Is this possible? Is there a project out there that already does this? Am I contacting the right people? Like I said, I'm abit of a newbie in all this. any help would be greatly appreciated, the whole country will thank you. :)

Hamish