[Synaptic-devel] feature request: better cache management

From: Paul
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] feature request: better cache management
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:37:51 -0700

At present, there are only 3 options for managing the cache:

* Leave all downloaded packages in the cache
* Delete downloaded packages after installation
* Only delete packages that are no longer available

None of these options are particularly satisfactory. Recently, I discovered that my cache had grown to nearly 4 gigabytes. This on a system with only a 20GB hard drive.

I propose managing the cache in a similar manner to the way that Internet browser caches are managed. Where you specify a maximum number of megabytes, and those items that have been in the cache longest (or accessed longest ago) get removed, to free up space. So the cache doesn't eat up all the available space on the hard drive.

Paul Dietrich