[Synaptic-devel] MD5 sum mismatches with installing packages on F9

From: Nigel Henry
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] MD5 sum mismatches with installing packages on F9
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:08:40 +0200

I've been using apt, and synaptic since Fedora Core 1, and also with my
Debian, and Debian based installs, but for the first time I have a problem
that I can't resolve with synaptic on Fedora 9.

Both Fedora 8, and Fedora 9's servers were compromised a while back, and prior
to that I'd had no problems using apt-get, or synaptic. The servers
eventually came back on line, and both apt-get, and synaptic continue to work
as before with Fedora 8, but with Fedora 9 I have a problem. Apt-get works
ok, but synaptic, when trying to install packages, downloads the packages,
seems to verify the GPG keys, but then complains that there is an MD5 sum
mismatch.

As an example, trying to install Qsynth with synaptic, I get the MD5 sum
mismatch, and the package is not installed. An apt-get install qsynth has no
problems installing the package, so there is clearly no problem with the MD5
sums. Then I do an apt-get remove qsynth, and try to re-install qsynth using
synaptic. Again I get MD5 sum mismatches, and the package won't install.

I've tried removing synaptic with an apt-get remove synaptic, then
re-installing it, but it doesn't remove all the files that were installed
when synaptic was initially installed, so that , for example,synaptic's
history still shows up on the re-install.

I was hoping to completely remove synaptic, and all files connected with it,
then re-install it, like it had never been installed before, and hopefully
resolve this problem with the MD5 sum mismatches when trying to install
packages with synaptic.

Any suggestions on how to procede would be very welcome.

Nigel.