[Synaptic-devel] modification request

From: Patrick Smith
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] modification request
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 03:21:30 -0600

I know, people only contact the creators when they want to complain.

Thank you for Synaptic - it's a cool utility, and i use it quite often. For exploring, to poke around and see what's available - brilliant.

The modification: When I enter a term into the quick search box, it will filter the packages displayed for that term. If I now want to look for a different program, I delete the current text, and start to type in a new term.

The problem is that when the search term box is empty, Synaptic displays all packages. With a slow connection (wifi on a laptop, say) this can be quite a lag.

My workaround is to type the new term at the end of the old one, and then hit 'home' and delete the first term. It doesn't feel very natural, and I often forget.

If I can suggest a solution - have the quick search wait to update the display a second or so - particularly when the text in the box is .. say ... 2 characters or less. Just a thought.

Thank you!
Patrick Smith,
Austin, TX
USA