sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Patches uploaded

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Patches uploaded
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:53:08 +0100

[Jesse Smith]
> Quick update for anyone wanting to look at the new changes. I've
> uploaded the source code repository to the Savannah git repo. I've left
> the svn tags and truck structure in place for simplicity's (and
> history's) sake. The URL and check info is at
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=sysvinit

As far as I can tell, this git repository lack all the existing source
code history from the subversion repository.  This is a very bad idea.

Please restart and create a new git starting point by migrating the
subversion repository with tags and all to git to keep the history of
the project source code.  If you need help with migration, I would be
happy to give guidance.  Master source migration is a task that should
be done with care, and it is a good idea to plan for a few iterations
with testing to get a good result.

This can be a starting point:

  git svn clone http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/svn/sysvinit/sysvinit \
    --tags=tags -T trunk sysvinit-git

I'm not sure why there are no tags created, and the back-refs in the
comments should be removed in the final conversion.

The subversion repository should be spit in three, one for sysvinit,
startpar and insserv.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen