taler

Re: [Taler] logging in the wallet

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] logging in the wallet
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:55:47 +0100

The fact that [1] doesn't log line numbers (see comments) seems to be a
valid concern vs. the use of such a micro-logging function.

Also, I have the impression that this one may have a log history, but
only within the page.  What we probably want is two kinds of logging: to
console (maybe with a small wrapper, but preserving line numbers, etc.)
for developer's debugging, but also to *database* for major events (i.e.
network failure on /pay, etc.).  So for logging "big" issues to DB and
to persist those events, we definitively need something more powerful
than this. Not sure how closely the two should be related, and of course
the persistent logging will have to be done with care (i.e. limit how
much we do it for performance, and with aging to avoid huge DBs).