taler

Re: [Taler] Wallet to wallet transaction

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] Wallet to wallet transaction
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 16:30:38 +0100

On Fri, 2018-02-09 at 09:39 -0500, B3lJ wrote:
> Did Taler support wallet to wallet transaction?
> If not, are you scheduling it in coming versions ?

Anyone could run merchant software to receive money at their bank
account, but that's wallet-to-merchant-to-bank, not exactly
wallet-to-wallet.

We have proposed a Google Summer of Code position for anyone interested
in developing a merchant intermediary deployment so that individuals can
merely post some HTTP on a website to receive payments using merchant
software run by some intermediary, like the Taler company, Etsy, etc.
After this exists, the Taler wallet itself could provide the HTTP to
receive funds, and users could paste it to their sender.  That's
directly wallet-to-bank, so fairly close.

This would be a reasonably straightforward introduction to the Taler
code base for anyone interested.

Afaik, there is a wallet-to-wallet gift feature planed eventually.  As a
technical matter, browser-wallet-to-browser-wallet transactions and
gifts per se do not necessary make sense, as the wallet runs in the
browser and the merchants who receive transactions run on a web server,
so maybe this waits for the Android wallet.  It'd be less user-friendly
than we'd like if done in the browser version.

In theory, we could support wallet-to-reserve transactions similarly to
wallet-to-bank, which almost wallet-to-wallet since the receiver's
wallet can then withdraw the funds.  I've no idea about the legal side
of doing this with the eMoney emitter license, like maybe we want to
lean on the banks to do all the hard AML work or something.  Afaik, we
do eventually plant to implement roughly this for regional currencies,
etc., but I'm unsure if this works as stated or by writing them more
bank software.

Jeff