taler

Re: [Taler] Fake gnutaler.org site

From: Jesse Dziedzic
Subject: Re: [Taler] Fake gnutaler.org site
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 02:01:38 -0500

>Using a fake name is against ICANNs rules so you might be
able to take over the domain or get it suspended by filing a complaint
with ICANN at https://www.icann.org/complaints-office

Definitely the best course of action imho.

The next best thing would be to contact their web hosting company who is " Radore Veri Merkezi Hizmetleri A.s." in "Instanbul" according to http://whois.domaintools.com/gnutaler.org

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Adam Van Ymeren <address@hidden> wrote:
There is a fake gnutaler.org website which is trying to sell a
cryptocurrency.

I see this issue was raised earlier here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/taler/2018-01/msg00009.html

It might be worthwhile to add a disclaimer on the official www.taler.net
site, it took me a while to figure out what was going on myself.

Curiously enough though the whois information for gnutaler.org claims to
be registered by Christian Grothoff, whom I believe is one of the Taler
developers.

Christian if you're reading this, I'm guessing whomever is behind
gnutaler.org used your name for the registration to try to give it more
legitimacy.  Using a fake name is against ICANNs rules so you might be
able to take over the domain or get it suspended by filing a complaint
with ICANN at https://www.icann.org/complaints-office

Cheers,
-Adam