tcd-hackers

Re: [Tcd-hackers] portable cdaudio library

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Tcd-hackers] portable cdaudio library
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 03:03:19 +0000

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 07:53:19PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:

> Hmmm, I think I would mind. Currently the source files are free of #ifdef's
> and that was one of my goals to keep the code easy to read.
>
> I currently have Linux, Solaris, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD. I could merge
> the Linux/Solaris file and the *BSD file, but I would not merge these two.
>
> (some minutes later ...)
>
> Oops, I merged them. It isn't that bad now. I think I'll keep it.

heh :)

> Now I'll have a look at libcdaudio ...

FWIW, I imported your sources as a "libcdplay" cvs module. I also fixed
guess-os.h. Since it's actualy checking for kernel, I added support for
non-BSD systems that use an *BSD kernel (i'm working on these), and
renamed the file to avoid confusion.

Anyway, with autoconf we'll probably be able to get rid of kernel detection
almost completely; most of the times it's about an ioctl and checking for
the macro is enough, and on the rest autoconf brings us HAVE_CDIO_H etc.
And since the ioctl interfaces tend to standarise (Linux with SunOS or *BSD)
we could even support kernels we didn't explicitly port to! :)

I'll add autoconf and libtool support to it when i get a minute to figure out
how to libtoolize sources.. (that is, if you don't beat me to it ;))

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)