terminal-discuss

[Terminal-discuss] [bug #4212] Problem with "Alt-Gr" modifier key on non

From: nobody
Subject: [Terminal-discuss] [bug #4212] Problem with "Alt-Gr" modifier key on non-US keyboards
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:46:39 -0400

=================== BUG #4212: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=4212&group_id=2757

Changes by: Wolfgang Thaller <address@hidden>
Date: Fri 07/11/2003 at 20:46 (GMT)

Yes.On my system (RedHat 8.0, German Keyboard, GNUstep from CVS), I haven't
changed anything from the default. I have found the docs you referred to, it's
in chapter 6 of the gui docs (while chapter 2 says that no config is necessary
at all).

I've never encountered problems in other GNUstep apps, all the AltGr
combinations work; I haven't needed the Alternate  key much, but it works for
mouse-clicks on scrollbars, for example.
As everything except Terminal.app seems not to mind, I guess it's common for
people to leave those keys at the default configuration.
By the way, Mac OS X uses the "option" key as both an "Alternate Key" and for
typing special characters, dead keys, and so on. I don't know which key maps to
Meta in OSX's terminal, I use hardly any interactive terminal apps besides the
shell, so I never need it.

=================== BUG #4212: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: wthaller                Project: Terminal.app
Submitted on: Sun 07/06/2003 at 21:25
Category:  None                       Severity:  5 - Major
Bug Group:  None                      Resolution:  None
Assigned to:  alexm                   Status:  Open

Original Submission:  The "Alt-Gr" modifier key (reported by GNUstep as
"Alternate Key"), which is required on German keyboards to type the characters
[]{}@, doesn't work in GNUstep.

In the method handleKeyEvent in TerminalParser_Linux.m, it says...
        if (mask&(NSAlternateKeyMask|NSCommandKeyMask))
        {
                NSDebugLLog(@"key",@"  meta");
                [ts ts_sendCString: "e"];
        }

If I remove NSAlternateKeyMask from that test, everything seems to work fine.

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: Thu 07/10/2003 at 13:20       By: alexm
This is a GNUstep configuration issue. If the AltGr key isn't alternate, it
shouldn't be reported as alternate. You probably want to adjust the
GSFirstAlternateKey and GSSecondAlternateKey defaults (described in the -back
documentation; iirc, Preferences can be used to change them). Unfortunately,
the default values aren't good, especially not when you use AltGr as "mode
switch".

I guess situations where you want don't want to treat alternate as meta overlap
with the situations where you want to treat command as meta. I could change the
behavior so that enabling that option causes alternate to be ignored here.
However, this would cause right alt to stop working as meta when using this
option, which might not be always be desirable. Comments? How common is it to
use GNUstep without fixing these keys? (Eg. moving command to a windows-key and
alternate to both alts if you have a windows-ish keyboard.)

CC list is empty

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=4212&group_id=2757