texi2html

Re: [Texi2html] merge of texi2html in texinfo

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Texi2html] merge of texi2html in texinfo
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:27:35 -0500

Hi Patrice,

    texi2html is basically ready to be merged in texinfo.

I'm psyched!

    I also would like to get rid of check_texinfo.pl. Anybody would miss it?

Not me.

    As a side note I would like to have a last standalone texi2html
    release after the merge and after documentation has been updated

You mean make a texi2html release out of the texinfo repo in the way
that you have proposed?

    Are there issues/incompatibilities that you know about and think that
    they should be fixed before the merge?

I'm sure plenty of things will arise, but after the merge seems fine.

Regarding the diffs:
    +chmod a+x texi2html/mdate-sh

This does not seem like it should be necessary to me.  We don't chmod
anything else.  Alternatively, we could execute it with ${CONFIG_SHELL}.

    +AC_PATH_PROG([PERL], [perl], [/usr/bin/env perl], [/opt/perl5/bin:"$PATH"])

This has nothing to do with the merge, I suppose, but as I've written
before, I think it would be better to unconditionally use #!/usr/bin/env perl.
Do we really depend on any perl-version-specific features?

    +            install-info info makeinfo po util doc texi2html

Well, texi2html should be built before doc, and (eventually)
makeinfo shouldn't be built at all :).

Just to be sure: do your tests include those few tests that are in
makeinfo/tests?

Thanks,
Karl