Re: white space at the beginning of lines in macro body ignored!

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: white space at the beginning of lines in macro body ignored!
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:33:28 GMT

    But it leads to having many things that cannot be done with @macro,

That is true.  If someone wants to do that in a reliable way, well, now
they can use m4, the way it should have been in the first place.

    On the other hand, one could also consider that it is only one of
    many discrepancies between TeX and makeinfo @macro implementations,
    and let it be documented in the manual.

Sounds fine to me.

    I'll implement stripping leading whitespaces anyway, and associate
    it with a customization variable,

Sounds good.  Per above, ok with me to make the default be off, ie,
leading whitespace is preserved by texi2any but lost by TeX.

      IGNORE_LEADING_SPACE_IN_MACRO_BODY

What comes to my mind is that it's about macros, so start with MACRO,
e.g., MACRO_BODY_IGNORES_LEADING_SPACE.  Like we just started those
other recent ones with FLOAT* and XREF*.

Perhaps we could usefully review all macro names to see if there is any
way to come up with an even vaguely regularized naming scheme.

Thanks,

(BTW, I'm finishing up the next issue of TUGboat now.  Then catching up
with Texinfo and making the address@hidden first test release will be my
priority
again.)