Re: running makeinfo within emacs on a region

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: running makeinfo within emacs on a region
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 22:02:54 GMT

    the documentation whether this may be run on something else than
    a complete manual, like a single node (especially makeinfo-buffer).
    Is it really the case?

Well, makeinfo-buffer runs on the whole buffer, that's its purpose.  If
you wanted to run it on a single node, you'd use makeinfo-region.

All that (m-r) does is make a temporary file with the
start/end-of-header material followed by the region and invoke makeinfo
on it.  As I understood it, it was mainly for testing a block of
(presumably newly-written) text.  It hardly matters these days since
it's fast enough to run makeinfo repeatedly on even large manuals.

I suspect the functions derive from the early days.  The initial
implementation of the Texinfo-to-Info conversion in Elisp.  Chassell or
whomever probably just made analogous functions for makeinfo when it
came along.