Re: [5351] * tp/Texinfo/Convert/Plaintext.pm: warn when cross-reference

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [5351] * tp/Texinfo/Convert/Plaintext.pm: warn when cross-reference
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 21:32:58 GMT

    > E.g., INFO_CHARS_WARNING (off the top of my head, probably not the best
    > name).
    And the best name would be?

Well, if you don't have any objections or ideas, I haven't come up with
anything better in the meantime.  Maybe INFO_SPECIAL_CHARS_WARNING?
Whichever you think is better.

    Also what should be the default?  On or off?

We will get grief from users either way.  Glenn wants the warnings by
default (and he and others will surely complain if they have to set
something extra to get them).  Whereas other users with longstanding
manuals will complain if they have to do something to turn them off.

I guess my inclination is to be conservative and not have the warnings
by default.  But the thread that occasioned this whole thing was more or
less along the lines of having them by default.

Do you have a preference?

karl

P.S. Sergey, are you there?  There are a couple things left in Info for
any upcoming release ...