Re: --debug and infodebug file

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: --debug and infodebug file
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:03:25 GMT

    I propose to change this to always writing to standard error.

Well, I don't feel all that strongly myself, but Sergey devised the
current situation for a reason.  His rationale is in the last part of
the message at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texinfo-devel/2013-06/msg00002.html

The main point being, as I understand it, that if stderr is used for all
debugging than stderr basically has to be redirected, and that's not
what users expect or necessarily desirable in general -- after all,
stderr is used for actual error messages too (during startup), not just
debugging.  Or am I missing something?

I'm not sure accidental overwriting is a serious issue outside of the
test suite.  For that, maybe the name infodebug should be configurable
via envvar or .info or whatever (or maybe it already is, I can't
remember just now, sorry).

thanks,