Re: makeinfo test suite

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: makeinfo test suite
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 16:03:12 +0000

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Patrice Dumas <address@hidden> wrote:
> They are different testsuites.  Tests in the t/ directory test the perl
> modules, while tests in tests/ test the texi2any/makeinfo command.
> In general there is no redundancy between the 2 kind of tests, except
> for some tests in tests/, those that use coverage_macro.texi that tests
> many elemments of Texinfo, that have already been tested in other files.
> The idea is that those tests can uncover unexpected issues with
> unexpected @-command connections.

Thanks Patrice, I updated some of the README's under tp/ with some
information from your response. Please feel free to add any
information you think would be helpful.

> The main way to check the tests is to look at the diff.  Sometime, for
> instance if you change css (as you just did), which ends up in almost
> all the html output files in tests/, you'll not be able to really check
> the difference.  I can't really see a practical way to improve over
> that.

Maybe CSS for elements shouldn't be output unless they are actually
used. (There was a post about this recently on bug-texinfo:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2014-11/msg00037.html).
Another idea is that many of the diffs looked identical, so maybe we
can diff the diff's against each other to eliminate duplicates.

>> There were some tests in t that were different to regenerate. For
>> example, in  t/results/indices/encoding_index_ascii, I did
>>
>> cp out_html/index.html res_html/index.html
>
> That should not have been necessary.  It should be a bug but it is
> strange that it did not happen for more tests (ie, for all the file
> based tests).

It happened for all of the tests under t/results/indices at least. I
believe I had regenerated the tests for those tests the same way as
the others, although I can't be sure.