Translation strings, Info welcome message

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Translation strings, Info welcome message
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:45:52 +0000

I was thinking about changing the Info welcome message from "Welcome
to Info version 5.9.90. Type H for help, m for menu item, h for
tutorial." to "Welcome to Info version 5.9.90.  Type H for help, h for
tutorial." to be friendlier, under the principle of "if everything
stands out then nothing does", and also to fit within 79 characters
for a longer version number (note the extra space after the full stop
as well).

However, I was concerned about annoying translators who may have just
translated this string. I thought I would check what translations had
translated this.

For example, I found the following in de.po:
#: info/session.c:187
#, fuzzy, c-format
msgid ""
"Welcome to Info version %s. Type \\[get-help-window] for help, \\[menu-item] "
"for menu item, \\[get-info-help-node] for tutorial."
msgstr ""
"Willkommen bei Info (Version %s). „\\[get-help-window]“ eingeben für Hilfe, "
"„\\[menu-item]“ für Menüeintrag."

Although the translation hasn't been updated, some kind of automatic
update has matched up the old translation with the new message.
However, when I try running "LANG=de_DE info" (in a UTF-8 terminal) I
don't get a translated welcome message, although some other strings
are translated.

I wasn't sure if this was expected - I haven't learned much about
gettext yet. If this is working as expected then there may not be an
obstacle to changing the welcome message after all, because
translators may not have updated this translation after all. Is there
any way of seeing recent updates to the translations?