Re: Using Perl's cc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using Perl's cc
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 19:55:01 +0300

> Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:33:19 +0100
> From: Gavin Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >> Is there any way of detecting these flag automatically? For example,
> >> on my system the configuration values for Perl are in a file
> >> /usr/lib/perl5/Config_heavy.pl. If you have a file like that on your
> >> system, you could look to see if "-lperl520" is given anywhere.
> >
> > Yes, I have such a file; and yes, libperl520.a is mentioned there.
> > But I see no -lperl520.  Can you tell me how to get Config_heavy.pl to
> > report some useful values?  Maybe it will spit out the -lperl520
> > argument as well.
>
> Follow what's done in configure.ac to get configuration values, using
> the fetch_conf.pl script. I also found out that you can get
> confguration values with commands like "perl -V:cc" ("perl -V" for an
> overview).

These look relevant:

  $ perl -V:libperl
  libperl='libperl520.a';

  $ perl -V:so
  so='dll';

(The latter because the extension we build -- when we succeed to build
it -- will have the .dll extension, not the .so extension as on Unix.)

> If you can get an ExtUtils::MakeMaker makefile working, you could copy
> what it does. That would be possible, but could be time-consuming. I
> did that for some parts of the existing Makefile.am. I think that
> /usr/share/perl5/ExtUtils/MM_Win32.pm and
> /usr/share/perl5/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm could be the relevant files. It's
> "perl Makefile.PL" to create the Makefile.

Not sure what you mean by "get an ExtUtils::MakeMaker makefile
working".  I already have ExtUtils installed, and the files you
mention are present.  But what should I do with them?