Re: Info reader fails to find cross-references to anchors

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Info reader fails to find cross-references to anchors
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 17:38:23 +0100

On 18 July 2015 at 17:31, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Probably.  I admit I don't yet have a clear idea what is this cache
> about.

Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to Karl on the 18th June, it'll
save me typing it out again:

Let me mention some of what I have had in mind for future work on
info. One thought I have had is to reduce memory usage. Before, when
you pressed tab to move between cross-references, it created a list of
all the cross-references in the node, found the next one, and then
immediately threw away the list. This happened every time you pressed
tab. Now it keeps a list of the cross-references, but the downside is
that it does this once for every entry in a window's history. Memory
can also be wasted by replication of the contents of a node if it is
stored separately from the containing file buffer, usually if the
character encoding is converted. Possibly some of the ideas from
previous versions can be used, for example Sergey added a field in the
tag table to hold the contents of nodes that had an image tag in them.
Another problem is the speed at searching through an Info file,
because it builds up the list of cross-references for each node it
looks at, when this wasn't done before. I only have a dim idea of how
I would improve it in these areas. There are other features which
would be nice to have like a history feature for echo area entry and
the option to colour cross-references in nodes.