Re: [Texmacs-dev] Roadmap porting TeXmacs and the TMGUI API

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Roadmap porting TeXmacs and the TMGUI API
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:33:01 +0200 (MET DST)

> My goal is to complete  shallow Qt and shallow Perl
> as soon as possible.

Great. So I convinced you to port the x_display (now that I got
more and more convinced that we can indeed bypass this step...).

> This combination will be already so powerful that
> I will put up a site called nemo.mongueurs.net

OK; do you plan to support CVS access there so that I, David or
others can help you on certain points whenever this is appropriate?

> But real acceptance can come only if I get to medium TeXmacs
> so that people will be able to use TeXmacs without Guile
> knowledge.

Maybe, but wouldn't it be better to uncouple the TMGUI API
from using Perl or not? These should really be independent issues.
I am not against having some command line option in order to
support Perl (later we will do better, but this seems to be
a good temporary solution), but I think that the perl support
should not be mixed up with Qt.

> Probably, the first example will be to use the
> POE::Component::Client::HTTP to pull web pages while updating the
> status line. Currently we use curl or whatever and we don't get any
> feedback about the loading of a page.  BTW: this means that the
> tm_widget interface is public.

I do not follow you completely.

> I am curious to know how we we can display in TeXmacs stuff-as-we-load
> it. How can we do it without exposing too much API.  In fact modern
> HTML browsers act as if they had already seen closing HTML tags.  For
> example they display as much of a table they have already seen.

We will do this, but later; I believe that we should not mix up
complicated changes inside TeXmacs with porting TeXmacs to another toolkit.
We will be able to do what you want, but I prefer to proceed by
clean steps before I get crazy. Don't forget that there are many other
developers and users with all sorts of questions, requests and problems...

> BTW: Do we have a table implementation that can
> handle HTML tables? For example: I am unable to justify text
> in table cells. Is it possible?

Yes it is, you should enable hyphenation in the cells.
However, we do not have good Html <-> TeXmacs converters yet.
This really should be the first step before getting all this to work.
But I plan to work on this soon.