[Texmacs-dev] A small remark on tables in menus

From: Nicolas Girard
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] A small remark on tables in menus
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:40:00 +0200

Hi,

This is a small remark on a thing which annoys me from time to time.

Look at the 'Insert' menu in 'text' mode (is this the right way to
call it ?) ; among others, you find:

Mathematics
    formula
    equation
    equations
    numbered equation
  Table

It obviously makes sense to insert an equation while you are in text
mode. But IMHO it also makes sense to insert a 'choice' table while
you're in text mode ; however this option can't be found in the 'Table'
submenu, you've got to enter math mode to make it appear.

This has already played me a trick: i know i saw it in the 'Insert'
menu, i look for if for a minute, and then i realize i have to switch to
math mode.

Does this little inconvenience come from a slight inconsistency in the
menus or else from a bad/indirect use of the 'choice' table ? I indeed
often use it when i need to express a real choice, rather than a set of
equations.

BTW, as i'm writing it, it appears to me that these two uses have two
semantically distinct uses of the 'choice' table. Would it be useful to
define a 'choice' table in text mode, and a 'choice' table in math mode
with a different meaning ?

Cheers,

Nicolas