Re: [Texmacs-dev] RE: Texmacs segfault

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] RE: Texmacs segfault
Date: 23 Oct 2002 16:30:36 +0200

Hello!

I have made some experiments (re)compiling TeXmacs and gcc-3.2 on Gentoo
Linux 1.4. These are the results:

In the table below "GCC" refers to "the C(XX)FLAGS gcc-3.2 has been
compiled with using gcc-3.2" and "TM" refers to "the C(XX)FLAGS TeXmacs
1.0.0.18 has been compiled with using gcc-3.2".
"segfaults" means that a TeXmacs that has been compiled with the flags
TM (X) by a gcc-3.2 which itself has been compiled with flags GCC (Y)
segfaults when saving a file on my Gentoo Linux 1.4_rc1 System (guile
1.4-r3). "works" means that it does not segfault.

C(XX)FLAGS Flags:

GCC (1) : -O0 -g -ggdb
GCC (2) : -mmmx -O3
GCC (3) : -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mcpu=pentium4 -O3

TM (1) : -g -ggdb
TM (2) : -O3
TM (3) : -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions

Results:

        |   TM (1)   |   TM (2)   |   TM (3)   |
--------+------------+------------+------------+
GCC (1) |   works    |   works    | segfaults  |
--------+------------+------------+------------+
GCC (2) |   works    | segfaults  | segfaults  |
--------+------------+------------+------------+
GCC (3) |   works    | segfaults  | segfaults  |
--------+------------+------------+------------+

What is noteworthy about this: gcc-3.2 behaves differently (i.e.
produces different output) when gcc-3.2 itself is optimized. So whether
or not there is some hidden bug in TeXmacs'es code - gcc-3.2's
optimization routines are not entirely trustworthy.

However my entire Gentoo 1.4 System has been built with an optimizing
_and_ optimzed gcc-3.2 and it is *really* stable, so... there is
something strange going on here. (But we knew that right from the start
:)

I am going to write a new TeXmacs-ebuild (for Gentoo) that switches off
optimization for TeXmacs, so that the Gentoo people keep TeXmacs in
their distribution.

Regards,
Felix