Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in the further development?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:49:17 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 04:08:06PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > > That has been done already.
> >
> > Great. But I would have liked to know earlier. That would have
> > prevented me from spending five or six hours over several days on my
> > crawling VMWare Windows system.
>
> !!??
> I just told in a previous email on this list that
> I applied your patch 706. I also fixed 710 in the meantime.

Nevermind. I worked to fix these problems and I just feel like I could
have spent my time not duplicating work. 706 actually is quite trivial
and could have been fixed without using VMware. So I can account most
of the time I have spent on VMware to 710.

It took me some time to figure out the problem with 710. I even made
an (unreleased) patch to make STATIC_TEXMACS the default on Cygwin and
I worked to reproduce the '-ldl -ltdl' problem to implement a
configure check for that. But all that work was not needed. Add the
fact that upgrading a Windows system which has not been used for
monthes is quite a time consuming task and you have a lot of wasted
time.

Actually I was just groaning of not having a CVS to see what is going
on in your branch and avoid duplicating work. But I understand that is
not going to change soon.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org