Re: [Texmacs-dev] Applied patches for TeXmacs-1.0.0.25

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Applied patches for TeXmacs-1.0.0.25
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:11:14 +0100

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:19:38PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> 791 Rejected:
>     major-mode dependent items in menus should not be greyed;
>     only context dependent items should be greyed.

This looks like there have been some misunderstanding about the
intended meaning of "mode" in my discussion about hiding and
disabling menu items.

I cite the relevant parts:

    The "mode" currently is defined by the document "style". Different
    modes present the same information in different ways (for example
    sectioning) and might have different keybindings. Different modes
    can be considered different applications based on TeXmacs. The
    mode can only be changed by very specific actions (setting the
    document style and packages). Currently, the "mode" maps exactly
    to the document style, but I prefer to use another terminology
    because I hope we will support Emacs-style modes in the future.

    The "context" is more local. It is dependent mostly on the
    position of the caret, and may also be affected by the status of
    the document in its life cycle. For example, the context includes
    "math mode" (in texmacs terminology) and the dirty state of the
    document.

This patch was about disabling (instead of hiding) some items which
are relevant only in "math mode" or "text mode", which I explicitely
pointed out as part of context information, and which is not a "major
mode" in any respect.

So please tell me more about what is wrong with that patch.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org